To kick off a year of tributes and celebrations, TAG Heuer is revealing a TAG Heuer Carrera 160 Years Silver Limited Edition, of which only 1860 pieces will be produced.
The new stainless-steel chronograph features many of the same design highlights as its predecessor, such as an eternally elegant dial and polished case and pushers. However, the shape is slightly different and the timepiece now measures 39 mm instead of the original 36 mm.
The permanent second indicator is at 6 o’clock instead of at 9 o’clock due to the difference in the construction of the Valjoux 72 from 1963 and today’s Heuer 02 movement. Another change from the original is the shape of the central hour and minute hands, which are now facetted and coated with beige SuperLuminova.
The unmistakable Carrera name and HEUER shield are printed on the dial, which is protected by a domed sapphire crystal that gives the watch a retro appearance reminiscent of the original Heuer Carrera.
Presented on a black alligator strap, this model is limited to 1860 pieces – a nod to the year that Heuer was founded – and “One of 1860” and “LIMITED EDITION” are engraved on the case-back.
The redesigned oscillating weight, visible through the screwed-down sapphire crystal, is adorned with a lacquer-filled engraving that distinguishes the timepiece as an anniversary edition. This model is presented in special packaging.
TAG Heuer’s Calibre Heuer 02 manufacture movement offers five key benefits:
- A power reserve of 80 hours – an increase of 30 hours compared to the Calibre Heuer 01.
- A thinner movement, which allows for a thinner case design and improved comfort for the wearer. The thickness is 6.95 mm, compared to the Heuer 01’s 7.30
- The vertical clutch improves the precision of the start-and-stop functions as well as the running of the chronograph second hand, meaning that there is no loss of time when using the chronograph function.
- There is a column wheel, which provides more accurate and precise functionality – noticeable through the smooth impulse when manipulating the pushers.
- Precision and greater stability with a frequency of 4 Hz (28,800 vibrations per hour).
The TAG Heuer Carrera 160 Years Silver Limited Edition will be available worldwide to customers from June 2020.