Out of the box, PS5 comes with an 875GB solid-state drive. After factoring the space needed for the system software, you actually have 667.2 GB to store games, apps like Netflix and YouTube, saved game data, screenshots, and video clips.
In order to match the expected speed of the console’s internal storage, you’ll need an M.2 solid state drive with a high read speed – the KIOXIA EXCERIA PRO SSD. An M.2 drive is a form of NVMe (Non-Volitile Memory Express), which connects to the consoles via PCIe, which makes it much faster than a standard Solid State drive. M.2 modules are also generally much smaller than standard hard drives — they look more like a stick of RAM than a standard SSD.
If you already have a large library of PS5 games or loath having to regularly reinstall titles then it is recommended to add an additional SSD to your PS5.
How to install an NVMe SSD to a PS5
- Ensure the PS5 is up to date with the latest firmware.
- Power off the PS5 and disconnect the power cable.
- Open the cover on the PS5.
- Turn the PS5 upside down and place it on a soft surface.
- The logo should be facing downwards.
- Hold the top right and top left corners of the cover with each hand.
- Lift the cover up.
- Slide the cover off.
- Remove the rectangular expansion slot cover by loosening the screw with a Phillips screwdriver.
- There will be another screw with a spacer in the expansion slot.
- Remove the screw and spacer.
- Keep it handy for later.
- Place the NVMe SSD into the expansion slot, and slide it until it locks into place.
- Use the spacer and screw from earlier to fasten the NVMe SSD into place.
- Once the SSD is locked in place, reattach the expansion slot cover using the screw from earlier.
- Slide the exterior cover back into place.
- Connect the power, and the PS5 will turn on and automatically detect the SSD.
- A message will display on the screen asking if you want to format the SSD or not.
- Click on the option to format the SSD.
- After the SSD is formatted, a message will display on the screen showing how fast it is.
- Click on OK, and the SSD will work as an additional storage device.
This article is brought to you by KIOXIA. Their portable SSDs deliver quality and reliable storage for your photos, videos and data.
The all-new KIOXIA EXCERIA PRO SSD Series uses next generation technology to take your high-end computing and gaming into a new realm of possibilities. Leveraging PCI Express 4.0 technology, this updated professional-class SSD series now offers up to 2TB of capacity well-suited for both high performance desktops and notebooks needing maximum speed.
Imagine up to 7,300 MB/s of sequential read speed and up to 6,400 MB/s sequential write speed, and you have the KIOXIA EXCERIA PRO Series. Designed to reduce game loading, video editing and graphic rendering time, the EXCERIA PRO Series helps your content creation or gaming environment excel.
For more information, visit personal.kioxia.com