Youssef En-Nesyri is one of the biggest names in Qatar thanks to the historic goal that earned Morocco a place in the semi-finals against Portugal (1-0). They are the first African team in history to reach the semi-finals of a World Cup.
1. En-Nesyri is putting together a dream campaign for the World Cup. In fact, the 25-year-old’s 18 goals so far in the 2020/21 campaign broke the all-time record for goals by a Moroccan in La Liga in a single season, a record previously held by Youssef El-Arabi.
2. Fes-born En-Nesyri came through the youth ranks at the Mohammed VI Football Academy, one of the most prestigious academies in Morocco. By the age of 17, he stood out for his physicality and technical abilities, so much so that he was picked up by Malaga CF in 2015, thus kickstarting his La Liga career.
3. After playing for Málaga CF and CD Leganés, in January 2020 he made the leap to Spanish giants Sevilla FC. And in his first full season, En-Nesyri was key to Sevilla FC’s LaLiga Santander title aspirations. His 18 goals that season earned 19 points for the Hispalense club.
4. The Moroccan star scored hat-tricks on two consecutive matchdays at Sánchez-Pizjuán in January 2021, only the third Sevillista to do so in history after Guillermo Campanal and Rafael Berrocal during the 1940s… seven decades ago!
5. He’s well known for his relationship with Kawasi, the ‘barber to the stars.’ Kawasi began cutting Youssef’s hair back in 2015 when he joined Malaga – where he’s based – and has followed his friend ever since. He often posts En-Nesyri’s pre-match haircuts on social media.